Thursday, October 11, 2007

Could it be?


My child (baby M) has been diagnosed with acid reflux. I have to say I am a bit skeptical simply because many of the features of a high need baby are also symptoms of acid reflux. Fast forward... he has been on zantac for a week with no improvement at all. Improvement would constitute better sleep with longer stretches. Right now we're lucky if he sleeps for more than 2 hours at night without waking. Translation... one tired and crabby mama. I called the Dr. yesterday to update her on the lack of improvement and she prescribed a stronger med (prevacid). I am not expecting this drug to do miracles either, but am willing to try anything for more sleep. A dear friend of mine offered to take baby M yesterday so I could get some sleep. I let her take Flippity instead. He has been neglected through all of this because baby M is so much w0rk. God bless the child's heart for not getting resentful of his brother. Flippity just goes with the flow, and is satisfied with very little entertaining. We try very hard to do things just for him since he is such a good big brother. Flippity and Daddy are going to visit grandma this weekend by themselves. It's such a long car ride and baby M HATES being in the car. Even to go less than a mile to the grocery store we are blessed with his ear-piercing shrill. Sigh. I don't know how to handle this kid, but I'm learning new things daily.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you see such a cute picture its hard to believe Baby M has such a hard time adapting!! They both are so cute!!! Hang in there kiddo, I am positive this will get better and become a distant memory, and I hope sooner than later!!

Love ya
Aunt Sara
~NC~

Anonymous said...

Lack of sleep is so hard to live with! I really feel for what you're going through -- Isa was exactly like baby M (high-need, hated the car, etc.). It did get better, but I know how hard it is to hang on.

Wishing you lots and lots of good sleep, and hoping the medication helps baby M settle in.

Those are two ADORABLE boys!!!